UPDATE: We’ve been back a few times now and would definitely recommend it. I think our first visit was too early…it was still trying to figure itself out. Since then, they’ve removed the Skate from the menu and upped their game with some great new and inventive dishes. A great place for a date or a group dinner with friends!
The old Le Pain Quotidien spot has been taken over and transformed into the newest Surry Hills hot dinner spot. We walked in at about 7PM on Friday night and were luckily able to be seated without a booking.
Let’s start with the good…
- Great service
- Nice atmosphere
- Diverse and reasonably priced wine list
- Well made cocktails
- The “Irish Breakfast” entree
- Delicious desserts – we had the “Bounty” and the “Donut and Apple”
Now onto what we didn’t love…
- The majority of the dishes we tried. It’s clear they are still trying to sort themselves out. I can’t put my finger on exactly what was missing, but aside from the “Irish Breakfast” – we were a bit disappointed by the other dishes we ordered.
- The Chicken Wing was a strange combo of textures and flavours.
- The Skate was a bit bland and while presentation was nice, it was a difficult dish to eat with too many elements on the plate that weren’t actually meant for eating.
Overall, this place is right around the corner from us and we also really loved it sister spot, Four in Hand…so I want to give it a second chance. At the moment though, I’d really only recommend it as somewhere to come with friends for drinks and dessert.