As hard as we tried, between the two of us and our two lovely dinner guests…we could not finish the entire 2.2 kilos of lamb that we cooked in the amazing 5 Hour Moroccan Lamb Recipe. Yet again, Hudson Meats inspired us with the idea to use the leftovers for Lamb Ragu over Egg Fettucini.
Here’s what we did.
- Leftover roasted lamb (probably about 500 grams worth) – chopped up or shredded into bite-sized chunks
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- One Small Yellow Onion – diced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic – diced
- 1/2 Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Handfull of Rosemary – finely chopped (we used dry, but fresh would have been better)
- 1 large pinch of salt
- 1 large pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3/4 Cups Red Wine
- 1 Cup Water
- Fresh Mozzarella and Basil for garnish
- Heat up EVVO in a large pan set on high heat
- Toss the diced onions in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden and carmelised
- Once the onions have released some flavour, toss the leftover lamb chunks along with the diced garlic into the pan and cook until the garlic browns and the lamb is warmed through
- Add 1/2 of the can of diced tomatoes and stir 1 minute
- Add the red wine (we used some leftover merlot, but most reds would work) and stir as the wine deglazes the pan, once some of the alcohol has cooked off
- Add the rosemary, salt, red pepper flakes, and 1 cup of water
- Let the liquid cook down to a saucy consistency (add water or stock as necessary)
- While the sauce is cooking down – boil your water and cook the pasta of your choice. We went with fresh egg fettucini noodles.
- Serve the hot ragu over cooked noodles. Add fresh mozzarella and basil to taste.